Tuesday 1 October 2013

Dressing Marie

Everyone who knows Beatrix Potter's children's books knows that she illustrates her animals in clothing that was around during her time. I decided to design Marie an outfit more suitable to this time period. I started with a few basic designs and then developed it on further from there.  




I really liked the idea of a bow so I decided to develop it a bit more but I also liked the idea of the little pink jumper.


After developing the bow idea a little more I was worried it would make her too cat like for the final illustration, Beatrix's  characters all have a human quality to them. I decided try out a dress to see if that would help bring it along. 


After the dress design idea I was starting to see human qualities come to life but something was still missing.. So I decided to have both the bow and the dress! 



  I felt like it was the strongest outfit for Marie I wanted to develop it further so I decided to do a watercolour study in the style of Beatrix Potter of Marie in her little outfit. 





I really liked how Marie came out and I still love the outfit however I feel it would have looked better if I'd done it in pink... For the final illustration I will defiantly  be drawing her in a pink bow and dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment